Athletics Spring Semester Top 10 Highlights of Tufts UniversityBy Don Don Navidad, UniversityHerald Reporter
Tufts University Athletics took numerous high moments over the past six months, despite the majority of the winter sports season and all of the spring schedule played during the spring semester.
The top 10 highlights of the spring semester of Tufts University:
1. Mitchell Black (Track & Field) got 2 more titles in the NCAA and an NCAA scholarship. Black was awarded the 2016 Walter Byers Postgraduate Scholarship of NCAA. For a number of applicants from NCAA Division I, II and III schools, NCAA awards a $24,000 scholarship to one female and one male scholar-athlete each year.
2. With Tufts University 15 teams, the institution finished a best-ever fourth in the Learfield Sports Directors' Cup Division III standings during the 2015-16 year. This year's fourth improved Tufts University upon the sixth-place finishes in 2005-06 and 2009-10. This marks the university's fourth straight year in the top 10 and eighth overall, according to Go Tufts Jumbos.
3. Men's Lacrosse of Tufts University wins 7th straight NESCAC title, and participated in their 5th NCAA final. Head coach Mike Daly's Men's Lacrosse also won over Middlebury their seventh consecutive NESCAC championship.
However, North Carolina's men's and women's lacrosse team made the league five NCAA team championships for the third consecutive year, Daily Press reported.
4. The Women's Basketball played in the NCAA Championship Game for the first time on April 4 at the Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis. Though Tufts University lost to Thomas More College in the national final, the institution finished the season with a 28-4 record.
5. The 140 spring honorees of Tufts lead Academic All-NESCAC.
6. Men's Basketball draws huge crowd during an NCAA "March Madness" at Cousens Gym.
7. The Tufts University Baseball program sets wins record and took the title in NESCAC, they also earned best NCAA finish in the region.
8. Track & Field's Alexis Harrison dominates NESCAC for the second time.
9. In 10 years, Tufts' Men's Swimming & Diving posts best finish at NCAA.
10. Women's Tennis of Tufts University returns to the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA).