Nov 23, 2016 12:45 PM EST
How to Ruin your Career in these 5 Easy Steps
There are just so many things that can ruin your career no matter how good and hard-working you are. Mistakes are inevitable but they can result in hard hitting consequences.
If you are not careful, you may be practicing some bad habits that could be hurting not just your reputation, but could be killing your career. Little things and minor errors can all add up over time so you have to stay aware of them.
Here are those things you need to take control of before they creep up and ruin your valued career.
- Lack of adaptability. Every company has its own set of culture and you are expected to make an effort to adapt into this culture or you will fail to establish positive working relationships in your office. This will also give your co-workers the feeling that you do not care.
- You keep on making excuses. Being unable to handle your tasks and responsibilities in a timely manner will give your boss the impression that you are not able to manage your time effectively.
- Complacency. How long has it been since the last time you proactively reached out to your network to look for opportunities and grow in your career? Even if you are able to comply with the responsibilities that you are tasked to do, when you wait for chances to step up, it will still make you seem complacent.
- Negativity. When you allow negativity to drag you down, it will also affect your co-workers even if you don't mean to. If you keep on complaining a lot about work or about your boss, it will not make you pleasant to be around and you're not giving your boss a good reason to keep you for good.
- You procrastinate. Putting off tasks will not only affect your work, but the work of other people that rely on that work. You will be the one who will have to take the blame if something goes wrong.
Join the Conversation