15 Percent Of Remaining Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Owners Will Be Forced To Follow Recall [Video]


Samsung is taking no more chances to rid itself of the debacle brought about by the Galaxy Note 7. They will force down an update for the remaining 15 percent of Galaxy Note 7 owners in the United States who are still holding onto their devices.

As of present time, 85 percent of Galaxy Note 7 owners in the U.S. have already returned or exchanged their units for other Samsung devices, with the remaining 15 percent still stubbornly holding on and refusing to heed Samsung's call to avail of its U.S. Note7 Refund and Exchange Program.

Final call to the remaining 15 percent holdouts

In a drastic attempt to retrieve all Galaxy Note 7 off the market, Samsung will soon release a software update that will limit the charging capacity of Galaxy Note 7 that are still in use to 60 percent. Furthermore, pop-up notifications will show up every time the user charge, reboot, or simply wake their smartphones.

Moreover, alongside the nag screens, a notification will also remind the user of the recall and would request the user to return the phone back to its manufacturer.

This week, Samsung issued a statement through a blog in its newsroom, citing the company's intent on collecting outstanding Galaxy Note 7 that are still out in the market. In the same post, they also advised users to immediately power down their phones and to contact their retailer or carrier.

Meanwhile in New Zealand

In a much more drastic move, Samsung collaborated with mobile networks and carriers in New Zealand to completely cut off service to the Galaxy Note 7 from their cell towers beginning Nov. 18. The move would render the phone useless in making calls, use data services or even send and receive SMS. Samsung New Zealand also urged customers to turn in their units for refund or replacement that began last Nov. 4 and ending on Nov. 18.

The Galaxy Note 7 fiasco cost the company more than $5.3 billion in profit and up to an estimated $9.5 billion lost in sales. The loss can easily be absorbed by the $194 billion company as its annual sales alone is at $179 billion, which is profitable enough to cushion the impact the Note 7 debacle brought. What would be harder to gain back is customer's trust and confidence, qualities they hope to bring back when they introduce the Samsung Galaxy S8 next spring.


© 2024 University Herald, All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.
Join the Discussion
Real Time Analytics