Jun 06, 2016 10:34 PM EDT
Lemonade Day Coming To Rochester On June 4, Hosted by RIT's Center For Urban Entrepreneurship
Lemonade Day is coming to Rochester on June 4, which is sponsored by Rochester Institute of Technology's Center for Urban Entrepreneurship. It is expected that about 20 lemonade stands would be put up throughout the city, as well as in Monroe County.
Lemonade Day is nationwide program and was founded in 2007 in Houston, Texas. It aims to teach children on how to manage the businesses that they could call their own. Organizers are expecting more than 100 local school children to participate in the event, Rochester Institute of Technology's CUE reported.
The event is a 14-step program that teaches the participants the essentials in running a business; from business plans to the core principles in running a company. The children are invited to put up their own business stands and run it, along with adult mentors.
Lemonade Day is in collaboration with Google for Entrepreneurs, as well. Its debut year in 2007 saw a 2,700 participant turnout to a million children nationwide as of late.
Ebony Miller, interim director of RIT's Center for Urban Entrepreneurship, stated that the program teaches the children the value of hard work. Participants are also taught how to invest; despite the seemingly simple lemonade stand, and how to save more by spending little.
The event organizers invite children as young as preschoolers. They believe that the event also promotes confidence, and a way to help the participants build up self-esteem, according to the Rochester Lemonade Day website.
Lemonade Day will take place at these following locations:
- PUC Achieve Charter School, 14 Mark St.
- The Strong, 1 Manhattan Square
- Durand Eastman Park, 1353 Lakeshore Blvd.
- Pinnacle School No. 35, 194 Field St.,
- Mendon Center Elementary School, 10 Mendon Center Road, Pittsford, N.Y.
- Cobbles Elementary School, 140 Gebhardt Road, Penfield, N.Y.
- School of the Arts, 45 Prince St.
- Wilson Foundation Academy, 200 Genesee St.
- George Mather Forbes School No. 4, 198 Samuel McCree Way
- University Preparatory Charter School for Young Men, 1290 Lake Ave.
For further information, participants, partners, volunteers, and sponsors are invited to visit their website, or contact Yasmin Mattox at 585-475-6199, as well as at the e-mail address, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join the Conversation