Jul 27, 2016 12:26 PM EDT
Easy Tips In Writing Your College Application Essay, Take It From The Experts
It is something everyone must go through when applying for a university or a college. It is a dreaded task but it has to be done. No matter how personal it may seem to write a college application essay, students still find it intimidating.
How can a student create their personal statement appropriately to get into their desired college or university? Here are some tips from the professionals that can help you make that essay in a less stressful way.
1. Do not necessarily write to the prompt. According to author Ethan Sawyer, writer of "College Essay Essentials: A Step-by-Step Guide to Writing a Successful College Admissions Essay," students should focus on what they have to offer. Start with the deepest story first instead of the other way around, he tells NBC News.
2. Don't rush. Take your time. Choosing your topic is crucial. Admissions officers may not remember every last lesson learned in a student's essay but the topic stays with them. Which is why it is important to think about it before writing about it.
3. This is not a term paper. Admissions officers expect short statements and not term papers. According to Jeannine Lalonde, the University of Virginia Associate Dean of Admissions, "Be concise and thoughtful in your statement and try to convey your voice and style in your words. This is the one spot on your application where your personality gets to shine, so don't treat this like a formal school assignment."
4. Be specific. Do not be generic. Instead, provide specific reasons with concrete examples.
5. Lastly, understand what the purpose of the essay is about. Admissions officers are looking for students who have learned from a personal experience and then used what they learned to make a positive difference. They just want to know who you are and how your experiences made you the way you and the world around you.
Having trouble finding that unique story about yourself? Check out the video below for some inspiration!
Join the Conversation