Dec 19, 2019 09:34 AM EST
8 Wonder Foods that Can Improve the Health of Many Students
Healthy foods are important for students, especially the ones in college. They often get sick and experience inflammation.
Inflammation is a defense mechanism in the body. The immune system recognizes cells, irritants, and pathogens that need to undergo the healing process. Due to a lack of exercise and an unhealthy lifestyle, students often develop stress that can lead to chronic inflammation. It happens when our immune system starts releasing chemicals that should protect us from injury, virus and bacterial infection even without the presence of foreign bodies to fight off.
That is why students need to consume anti-inflammatory foods. It prevents low-grade chronic inflammation that can be the cause of serious health problems and major diseases such as asthma, cancer, depression, diabetes, ulcerative colitis, strove and many more. This diet has the perfect combination of nutritious fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, lean protein, and healthy fats.
8 Most Anti-Inflammatory Foods You Can Eat
1. Berries are small fruits that contain fiber, vitamins, and minerals. The most common varieties are strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries. These flavorful fruits have anti-oxidants called anthocyanins, which have anti-inflammatory effects that help to reduce the risk of having heart problems.
2. Fatty Fishes are a great source of protein and the long-chain omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA. Fatty fishes such as salmon, sardines, herring, mackerel, and anchovies are among the best sources of these essential fatty acids. This food can help improve the brain's function as well as the metabolic process of your stomach.
3. Broccoli is a super nutritious vegetable. It's related to cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, and kale. A specific study has shown that eating a lot of cruciferous vegetables is associated with a decreased risk of heart disease and cancer. This may be because of their powerful anti-oxidants.
4. Avocados are very delicious despite its bland taste. You can incorporate it into a lot of dishes. Avocados can be marked as one of the superfoods available. They are rich in potassium, magnesium, fiber, and heart-healthy monounsaturated fats. They also contain carotenoids and tocopherols, which have a great connection to cancer prevention.
5. Green Tea is not your ordinary leaf. You may probably hear that green tea is one of the healthiest beverages you can drink. It reduces your risk of heart disease, cancer, Alzheimer's disease, obesity, and other conditions. Many of its benefits are due to its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, especially a substance called epigallocatechin-3-gallate.
6. Peppers not only add flavor to your dishes but is also a very nutritious food with a kick of spiciness. Bell peppers and chili peppers have a lot of vitamin C and antioxidants that have powerful anti-inflammatory effects. Bell peppers provide the antioxidant quercetin, which can reduce one marker of oxidative damage in people with sarcoidosis. Chili peppers contain sinapic acid and ferulic acid that can lead the body to a healthier process of aging.
7. Mushrooms. From appetizers to main courses, mushrooms bring out the best flavors in an array of dishes. There may be thousands of mushroom variety but only a few are consumable. Safe to eat kinds of these fungi are truffles, portobello mushrooms, and shiitake. Mushrooms are very low in calories while being rich in selenium, copper and all of the B vitamins.
8. Grapes these sweet and a little bit sour juicy fruit is not only a delightful fruit. They contain anthocyanins that reduce inflammation. In addition, they may decrease the risk of several diseases, including heart disease, diabetes, obesity, Alzheimer's disease, and eye disorders when consumed in moderation.
Join the Conversation