Sep 29, 2016 10:17 AM EDT
Top 10 Colleges With The Worst Student Loan Default Rates
A lot of working Americans are currently being burdened by student loans that they acquired for their college education. For some, it's manageable but several are actually finding it difficult to make ends meet especially with the interest rates that comes with the loans.
The common way of repaying student loan is through the "debt avalanche" where students start off "aggressively repaying" the debt with the highest interest and, after it has been cleared, moving on to the debt with the next highest interest rate. The second method is the "debt snowball." This is when, instead of focusing on interest rates, students pay off their debts beginning with the smallest to the largest balance.
The school of choice for incoming college students plays a major role on how much they will be paying after college. BuzzFeed collated a list of the top 10 schools that have the worst student loan default rates in the United States.
10. Nashville Barber and Style Academy in Madison, TN, has a three-year default rate of 39.2 percent.
9. Rob Roy Academy in Fall River, MA, had a default rate of 39.3 percent.
8. Denmark Technical College in Denmark, SC is one of the largest schools with high default rates. 260 of 661 student borrowers (39.3 percent) had defaulted.
7. Capstone College in Pasadena, CA, is a for-profit school. 41.4 percent of its student borrowers from three years ago have defaulted.
6. Cr'u Institute of Cosmetology and Barbering in Garden Grove, CA, has a default rate of 42.4 percent. It reportedly is the best cosmetology school in Souther California in 2013.
5. Isothermal Community College in Spindale, NC, has 42 percent of its students in default. It is the government-run school which has the highest default rate in the country.
4. Tribal college United Tribes Technical College in Bismarck, ND, has a 44 percent default rate.
3. Jay's Technical Institute in Houston, TX, had 46.5 percent of its students from 2013 defaulted on their loans.
2. New Life Business Institute in Jamaica, NY, has a student loan rate of 47.3 percent. 89 of its 188 students had defaulted on their loans within three years.
1. Larry's Barber College in Chicago, IL, takes the top spot as the school with the worst default loan rate at 48.3 percent.
Join the Conversation