Aug 07, 2013 08:31 AM EDT
Oslo University Rejects Norway Mass Killer’s Application to its Political Science Program
The University of Oslo has rejected 34-year-old mass murderer, Anders Behring Breivik's application of admission to the school's political science program.
Ole Petter Ottersen, the University rector, said that the authorities have sent a standard rejection letter to Norway's convicted mass killer, informing him 'that his qualifications do not suffice for admission to the bachelor programme.'
"The conclusion is that Breivik was judged not sufficiently qualified to start the political science course," Ottersen said.
Currently, Breivik is serving a 21-year prison sentence for killing 77 people, most of them teenagers, in bomb and gun massacres on July 22, 2011. According to the officials, the sentence can be extended once it expires.
Several people criticized Breivik's move of submitting the application to the university last week, including faculty staff with some of them refusing to teach him. He was seeking to study the program while in prison.
Breivik's opponents were also not in favour of allowing someone convicted of such a horrid crime to pursue higher education.
Prison officials claimed that they cannot prevent Breivik from studying in prison once he is granted admission by the university.
Vibeke Hein Baera, Breivik's lawyer, said that he resumed studying in prison to improve his academic level and to meet the necessary criteria for higher education.
According to abc, he claims to have spent 16,320 hours studying, giving him 'an informal education consisting of the equivalent of eight university years (or equivalent to two bachelor degrees and one master degree).'
"He collects points to be able to study at university. He studied math this summer and he will certainly have to study other topics to have the required level," Hein Baera.
Join the Conversation