Sunday, Oct 22 2017 | Updated at 08:46 PM EDT

Stay Connected With Us F T R

Apr 05, 2017 12:08 PM EDT

University Student Choked To Death At Pancake Eating Competition [VIDEO]

Close
Madeleine McCann 10 years on: The story that shocked the world

Sacred Heart University student Caitlin Nelson died after participating at a pancake eating competition in the school. She reportedly died due to choking. According to the Associated Press, via Fox61, police confirmed the death of Nelson, 20, on Sunday. She died at a New York City hospital three days after she joined the contest at Sacred Heart University.

She was originally from Clark, New Jersey. Caitlin Nelson majored in social work at the Catholic school based in Fairfield. Fairfield Police Chief Gary MacNamara did not confirm what exactly caused Nelson's death. There are speculations that it could be a combination of anaphylactic shock combined with food.

It was also noted that officers who responded on the scene tried to help her but were unable to do so. MacNamara added that the trauma would stay with the officers, especially those who have daughters of their own.

Officials confirmed that the pancake eating contest at Sacred Heart University was part of a fraternities and sororities event. Fairfield police also said that nursing students and first responders conducted lifesaving measures.

Nelson was taken to St. Vincent's Medical Center already in critical condition. On Friday, she was relocated to a New York hospital, Columbia University Medical Center.

According to CT Post, Caitlin Nelson lost her father when she was just five years old. He was a Port Authority police officer who died during the Sep. 11, 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center.

A few years ago, she used what she learned in college as she helped survivors of the 2012 shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown. She previously said that it was all about healing and helping as well as paying it forward to the victims.

An autopsy is pending. Police said that Nelson had several food allergies and was choking during the pancake eating contest.

A nursing student began CPR after Nelson's pulse was diminished. Officers were able to clear her airway by physically removing food from her throat but she was already in critical condition.

© 2017 University Herald, All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.

Join the Conversation

Get Our FREE Newsletters

Stay Connected With Us F T R

Real Time Analytics