Dec 16, 2016 09:25 AM EST
Newcastle University Student Dies From Too Much Alcohol Intake
A student from Newcastle University died after drinking too much alcohol. The student died on Wednesday in the hospital.
Local source ITV News reported that the student was described to have consumed "an excessive amount of alcohol." The Northumbria Police received a report from the RVI of a 20-year-old man who was brought to the hospital in a life-threatening condition.
He died on Dec. 14. The investigation into his death has been passed to the coroner.
"It is with deep sadness we can confirm the death of one of our students," a spokesperson for the university said. "At the family's request, we have nothing further to add at this time."
University president, Jack Taylor, added that they are still in shock about the student's death. Taylor admitted that they still do not have any further details and offered his deepest condolences to the student's family.
According to BBC, the university is also providing services for additional support to the student's friends as well as to other students who may have been affected by the tragic news.
It is important that college students are made aware of the dangers of too much alcohol intake. There are a lot of factors that contribute to binge drinking in college and could prove to be lethal when paired with established drinking habits.
It was found that about 40 percent of college students aged 18 to 22 engaged in binge drinking. The consequences of such drinking habits resulted to thousands of assaults, accidents, injuries, arrests as well as deaths every year.
About 1,825 college students aged 18 to 24 die each year from alcohol-related injuries, including DUI, every year. Factors that contribute to the problem are peer pressure from social groups such as Greek Life and sports.
Nearly 75 percent of college students revealed that they drank alcohol to break the ice and enhance social activity. Pre-gaming and tailgating are common practices before a game as well.
Join the Conversation