Friday, Oct 22 2021 | Updated at 11:41 AM EDT

Stay Connected With Us F T R

Jul 06, 2021 08:25 AM EDT

The International Student's Guide To Work And Study In The US


The International Student's Guide To Work And Study In The US

(Photo : The International Student's Guide To Work And Study In The US)

growing number of international students are coming to the United States once again to pursue a college degree. Although the number of international students studying in the country decreased by 18 percent in 2020 due to the ongoing health crisis, it is anticipated that application and enrollment numbers will continue to rise as more restrictions are lifted this year. To support themselves financially during their university years, many incoming students are looking for opportunities for part-time work. However, is it possible for international students to find employment in America, and what are the conditions to legally work in the country? If you're an international student, here's what you need to know to find work while studying in the US.

It depends on your visa

There are various ways to legally find work in the US as an immigrant or international student, depending on your visa type. For instance, seasonal foreign agricultural workers can get hired with an H-2A visa. H-2A Visa requirements state that the employment should be less than 10 months per year. Meanwhile, international students who have an M-1 and F-1 visa are permitted to work on campus and in certain training programs. You can try finding a job at the campus library, cafeteria, gift shop, or student center. Keep in mind that you won't be allowed to work outside the campus during your first academic year, so explore all job opportunities on campus, including tutoring jobs, if you can. 

Curricular practical training

After completing one academic year, you'll be permitted to participate in a curricular practical training (CPT) program, which will enable you to get some real-world experience connected to your field of study. CPT can be full time or part-time, and depending on the program, it can be an internship or a practicum with a company that has a partnership with your university. However, like most internships, some CPT programs are unpaid, so make sure to do your research before you apply. 

Consider online work

If you're concerned about your job taking too much of your time, then consider getting an online job. Not only will you be able to do them in the comfort of your dorm room, but you can work whenever you want and have total control of your hours. Try applying for writing or editing jobs, encoding work, or voice dubbing work.

International students can legally work while studying in the US, but it's important to take into consideration the conditions of your student visa, as well as your class schedule. Do your research before applying for a job, and aim to have the right balance between your studies, work, and leisure time to make the most of your academic career in the US.    

See Now: Facebook will use AI to detect users with suicidal thoughts and prevent suicide

© 2017 University Herald, All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.

Join the Conversation

Get Our FREE Newsletters

Stay Connected With Us F T R

Real Time Analytics